DC Residents “Celebrate” Haynesworth Exit

ESPN.com —- Before defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth could get to training camp and take his conditioning test, the Washington Redskins traded him to the New England Patriots for a 2013 fifth-round draft pick, according to league sources.

Haynesworth still must pass his physical, and Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Thursday morning that the trade was not yet completed.

“I talked to [Redskins coach] Mike Shanahan last night and we’re in the process of acquiring Haynesworth, but that’s not complete yet, so I can’t really comment on that at this point until it’s completed — if it does get completed,” Belichick said during a news conference. “So, we’ll see how that goes.”

Haynesworth clashed repeatedly with Shanahan and frequently skipped workouts. Shanahan suspended him for the final four games of last season for conduct detrimental to the team.

The 30-year-old Haynesworth was at his best when playing in the 4-3 scheme as a Tennessee Titan and seemed to prefer that over the Redskins’ 3-4 defense.

The Patriots, though, run plenty of multiple fronts, and Haynesworth lends needed help along their defensive line for a reduced price.

The former Pro Bowl player’s base salary for the coming season is $5 million. He is two years into a seven-year, $100 million contract that the Redskins signed him to in 2009, which included a then-NFL record $41 million in guaranteed money.

He played only 20 games with the Redskins, recording 6½ sacks.

Well, bye! Now you can go be some other team’s headache. All the assault charges, road rages, and quiting… arguments with Coach… not worth it, he costs to much to be such a major headache.

NFL Lockout Officially Over, Football’s Back! | Sports

WASHINGTON (AP) — The NFL Players Association executive board and 32 team reps have voted unanimously to approve the terms of a deal to the end the 4 1/2-month lockout.

Owners overwhelmingly approved a proposal last week, but some unresolved issues still needed to be reviewed to satisfy players; the owners do not need to vote again.

The sides worked through the weekend and wrapped up the details Monday morning on a final pact that is for 10 years, without an opt-out clause, a person familiar with the deal told the AP.

Owners decided in 2008 to opt out of the league’s old labor contract, which expired this March. That’s when the owners locked out the players, creating the NFL’s first work stoppage since 1987.

(via @WUSA9)

FOOTBALL’S BACK!

SHOUTOUT TO ALL THE REDSKINS AND RAVEN’S FANS!

End of N.F.L. Lockout Imminent, if Elusive | Sports, News

(via NY Times)

With the executive committee of the N.F.L. Players Association preparing to gather in Washington, a late request by players to have an opt-out clause inserted into the new collective bargaining agreement was the last loose end to be settled before a vote could be taken that would lead to the end of the lockout.

The request by players to have the seven-year clause inserted into the proposed 10-year deal was made late in the negotiating process, which upset owners, said a person briefed on negotiations. Players association officials said the request was not a deal-breaker, but with lawyers writing up the last few changes to the deal on Sunday, a delay in a vote could move back the anticipated start of football by another day.

Executive committee members hope to take a vote on Monday to recommend ratification of the proposed settlement. Then the 32 team player representatives will vote by conference call — also hoped for on Monday, although the votes could slip to Tuesday — and they are also expected to approve the new agreement. With the 10 named plaintiffs in the players’ antitrust suit having already cleared the way for a settlement, those two votes are expected to set in motion the beginning of the season.

While the timeline remained fluid on Sunday afternoon, the doors to team facilities could open to players by midweek, allowing them to fill out paper union cards to re-form the union. Counting those ballots could take several days, but once there are enough to assure re-forming the union — half of the 1,900 players, plus one — the full union membership could vote to ratify the agreement. Only then would training camps open and player transactions be allowed, which will happen almost certainly no earlier than this weekend and perhaps not until the start of next week.

Check out this article via NFL.com

Playtime’s over … or about to begin

Redskins COO David Donovan Leaving Team | Sports, News

(via @WUSA9) 

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — Washington Redskins chief operating officer David Donovan is leaving the team to return to his law firm.

The team announced Donovan’s departure Monday.

He worked for the Redskins for six years and says he’s leaving “for personal reasons.”

Redskins owner Dan Snyder said in a statement that Donovan “will continue to consult with the Redskins as he did prior to joining the organization.”

Where Will Albert Haynesworth Be This Season? | Sports

(Story via Mike Jones)

We’re still in wait-and-see mode, taking a look at the areas the Washington Redskins must address whenever the lockout ends (which could be soon). Yesterday it was a look at free agency, and on Tuesday Jason Reid’s column hit on the Donovan McNabb and Albert Haynesworth situations.

Both are complicated, but Haynesworth’s certainly appears to be the messier situation of the two.

In 2009, the defensive lineman signed the richest contract for a player at his position ($41 million guaranteed and up to $100 million with incentives concluded). But he never lived up to expectations, to say the least, and clashed throughout last season with Shanahan and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett over his unwillingness to play nose tackle in the team’s 3-4 defense.

Haynesworth appeared in only eight games last season, didn’t start any and was suspended for the last four games of the year for conduct detrimental to the team.

Having earned roughly $32 million from Washington in two years, Haynesworth doesn’t have much more guaranteed money coming his way. But this offseason he has embarrassed the Redskins further, with his involvement in a road rage incident in Fairfax County, which he eventually settled out of court, and an accusation that he fondled a waitress at The W Hotel in February (Haynesworth is due in court later this month over that matter). READ MORE

Cash, Bird Lift Storm over Mystics 73-63 | Sports

WASHINGTON (AP) — Swin Cash scored 19 points and Sue Bird added 17 as the Seattle Storm won in Washington for the first time since 2006, topping the Mystics 73-63 on Sunday.

Tanisha Wright also scored 17 points for the Storm (5-3), who took the lead for good late in the first quarter and were ahead 35-26 at halftime. After the Mystics got within 43-40 midway through the third quarter, Bird drilled a 3-pointer and scored eight points during a 14-4 run over the final 4:48 of the period to make it 57-44.

The Mystics (2-6), who played without leading scorer Crystal Langhorne (back pain), cut the lead to 61-56 on a 3-point play by Matee Ajavon with 3:20 remaining, but didn’t get closer.

The Storm have won two of three without reigning WNBA MVP Lauren Jackson (left hip surgery), and the defending champions have won three of four overall.

Washington has its own injury woes as the Mystics were without Langhorne, who missed the first game of her four-year WNBAcareer. The Mystics’ offense took the hit, producing a season-low 26 points in the first half. Washington shot 31.9 percent (22 for 69) overall. (via WUSA9)

Mike Vick Signs with Nike | Sports, News

How many times have we had the “does Mike Vick deserve a second chance debate”? Well, apparently our opinions hardly matter anymore!

Nearly two years after Michael Vick pleaded guilty to federal felony charges in connection with illegal dogfighting, Nike has reached out and the relationship/sponsorship with Nike has been repaired.

“We have re-signed Michael Vick as a Nike athlete,” Megan Saalfeld, a Nike spokeswoman, confirmed to CNN in an e-mail.

The Philadelphia Eagles’ quarterback, who lost his lucrative endorsement deals after serving 20 months in a federal prison because of his involvement in a dogfighting ring, was the NFL’s comeback player of the year in 2010. He has been active in speaking out about against dogfighting

“Michael acknowledges his past mistakes,” Saalfeld said. “We do not condone those actions, but we support the positive changes he has made to better himself off the field.” (via Washington Post)

I guess we can all take this time to go cop some Mike Vicks………..